Since 1986, YouthAware has used theater as a platform to help schools and communities dialogue about issues that might otherwise be difficult to approach in a classroom setting. YouthAware plays have explored issues like HIV & /AIDS education, peer pressure, substance abuse, dating violence, homophobia, stereotypes, race, gender expectations, and school safety by using age-appropriate stories and characters that are developed to resonate closely with our diverse Bay Area audiences.
YouthAware programs support health and wellness curriculum for SFUSD, and are designed to help communities ask tough questions about equity and inclusion in a safe and engaging format.
YouthAware Program Features
- Professionally trained teaching-artists who are cast to reflect our diverse audiences
- Original scripts commissioned by local playwrights
- Fully-staged productions
- Minimal site requirements for touring productions
- Low to no cost for tours or tickets
- Pre and post-play handouts for educators
- Facilitated post-play dialogues
- Workshops tailored to fit your communities’ needs
YouthAware Program Director Erin Merritt: firstname.lastname@example.org or 415.694.6149
YouthAware Program Associate Nicole Meñez: NicoleM@nctcsf.org or 415.694.6160
Visit our Plays page to book a current YouthAware program online for your school.
Booking inquiries may also be directed to email@example.com.
Find us on FaceBook